Hello Dion,
I've finally around to testing your XSL below and have limited success.
I set up an ant task to convert docbook->anakia, but the resultant anakia
docs produced is an emty shell.

Am I doing something wrong with ant, or am I using the wrong docbook tags.
(My understanding of XSL is limited).

You can find my source docbook documentation at:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/geotools/geotools2/geotools-src/developersguide/xdocs/developersguide.sgml

Build.xml at:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/geotools/geotools2/geotools-src/developersguide/build.xml

Output looks like:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--This document generated by docbook2document.xsl--><!--
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/css"
href="file:/usr/java/xxe-m13p1-bin/css/docbook41.css"
?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/css"
href="file:/usr/java/xxe-m13p1-bin/css/docbook.css"
title="Previous docbook stylesheet"
alternate="yes"
?>

email="[EMAIL PROTECTED]">