That's why they didn't want my patch which changed the SQL Type returned
by the metadata from Integer to Varbinary, because it'll break anybody
who uses it as an int (which is what it really is).  But the problem is
that there is no datatype called, "Image" or "varbinary," the only way
you can use a large object field is by setting the column datatype to
OID.  It's ambiguous...I don't use that datatype for anything but large
objects, so the patch works for me, but I understand why they don't want
it in the main dist. of the driver.

Tom Lane from the pgsql team told me that in v 7.1 there will be a way
to identify the difference between a binary column and an oid column.

        -Nissim