On Aug 10, 2006, at 10:53 PM, Venkata Krishnan wrote:

Thanks Ant and Jim.

Ant, I shall certainly work on the formatting and a couple of other issues
and posted an updated patch asap.

Jim, you point was something that I did vacillate about. I was wondering if the registry should be started by the binding or should it be done offline.

My imagination of the Registry is that it is lightweight and it should be ok to host several instances of it on a host, ofcourse each on a different port. Hence we might actually allow the assemblies to mention which port number is preferred to host the RMI Service. If a registry for the port
already exists then we simply use that otherwise start one.  So if is
possible that a registry on a port will host more than one service.

It is also a good idea that we clearly have one registry per host and
implement it the way you have mentioned out here. I am open to do this as
well.  Let me know your final thoughts on this.

Jerermy and others what are your thoughts on this?

One per host (runtime) sounds good. The port should be a property of the system component that initializes the registry - by making it a property we can potentially configure it in scdl.

--
Jeremy