You can override that in a specific module (pom.xml) by explicitly having a specific version in your dependency. In general I like a place where we see all the dependencies. As a practice when we override in lower pom.xmls we could comment that we've done this. My gut feel is overriding at lower levels would be the rare exception and not the rule.

Jim Marino wrote:

If we take the latter approach, do we list ALL external dependencies there to be consistent?

I don't think we should list all dependencies there for a couple of reasons:

1. We need to be modular in the extensions and I'm concerned that by doing this we will wind up with a large list of dependencies in one location that cannot be managed easily (i.e. every time an extension changes, we need to modify the master pom)

2. We will likely run into issues when two or more extensions require different versions of the same dependency.

How would we handle these cases under this approach?

Jim

If we feel this should change should we still do this for M2 release?