Jeremy

  So, having these assemblies modules sounded interesting to me until the
moment you said you want to base them on deployed artifacts... we have never
had a habit of publishing SNAPSHOTS for all possible artifacts, and even the
members of the community that are proposing this approach are failing to
deploy the SNAPSHOTS artifacts and Mario's pain is a prove of this.

  You also mentioned before that we have M2 experience of a top down build
not working, I'm not sure about all the details that comes to your mind when
you say that, but I remember some build brakes (and I think this is
acceptable in trunk, right ?) and we could set some conventions like,
modules that are "unstable at the moment" would be removed from the maven
profile (and maybe a JIRA would be created)... later on, when the module is
back to it's stability, whoever fixed the issue would close the JIRA (if
any) and put the module back to the stable profile.

  Also, this is not about MAVEN PROFILE versus ASSEMBLY.  I'm sure both can
co-exist together in perfect harmony, and it would definitely be a good
solution for members of the community that are interested only in a subset
of Tuscany (e.g some embedder that only requires the kernel, and a Spring
extension for example), and these assembly modules could be created as
needed

  These profiles would probably make the user experience of someone that
comes to evaluate Tuscany trunk much easier, as already mentioned by Mario
[1], and help others to be more productive as already expressed on various
other threads [2][3].

  If I understand your concerns, having the convention of moving unstable
modules out of the maven profile should help, but maybe you could explain
what worries you, that you are fighting so hard not to allow people to build
different modules with a simple mvn command. Nevertheless, it's good
practice to build before committ, right ?

[1] - http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev%40ws.apache.org/msg15894.html

[2] - http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg14658.html
[3] - http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev%40ws.apache.org/msg15303.html

On 3/23/07, Jeremy Boynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Mar 23, 2007, at 2:11 AM, Luciano Resende wrote:

> Hi Jeremy
>
>   For the assembly proposal, are you suggesting something like :
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/sandbox/lresende/
> sca/distribution/tss-sample/

Something like that, yeah.

You want to rely on things that are as stable as possible, preferably
things that have been released. I would not have included pom/parent
and buildtools as those are available from the release repo.
Generally you want to include as few unstable dependencies as possible.

Also, I noticed you have a assembly descriptor in your project but
you also include distribution/sca/demo.

--
Jeremy