To: <tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 6:07 PM
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Next version - What should be in it

Davanum Srinivas wrote:
Folks,

Let's keep the ball rolling...Can someone please come up with a master
list of "extensions, bindings, services, samples" which can then help
decide what's going to get into the next release. Please start a wiki
page to document the master list. Once we are done documenting the
list. We can figure out which ones are MUST, which ones are nice to
have, which ones are out of scope. Then we can work backwards to
figure out How tightly or loosely coupled each piece is/should be and
how we could decouple them if necessary using
interfaces/spi/whatever...

Quote from Bert Lamb:
"I think there should be a voted upon core set of extensions,
bindings, services, samples, whatever that should be part of a
monolithic build."
http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg16062.html

Quote from Ant Elder:
The specifics of what extensions are included in this release is left out of this vote and can be decided in the release plan discussion. All this vote
is saying is that all the modules that are to be included in this next
release will have the same version and that a top level pom.xml will exist
to enable building all those modules at once.
http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg16155.html

Thanks,
dims

Hi all,

I think we have made good progress since we initially started this discussion. We have a simpler structure in trunk with a working top-down build. Samples and integration tests from the integration branch have been integrated back in trunk and most are now working.

We have a more modular runtime with a simpler extension mechanism. For example we have separate modules for the various models, the core runtime and the Java component support. SPIs between the models and the rest of the runtime have been refactored and should become more stable. We need to do more work to further simplify the core runtime SPIs and improve the core runtime but I think this is going in the right direction.

I'm also happy to see better support for the SCA 1.0 spec, with support for most of the SCA 1.0 assembly XML, and some of the SCA 1.0 APIs. It looks like extensions are starting to work again in the trunk, including Web Services, Java and scripting components. It shouldn't be too difficult to port some of the other extensions - Spring, JMS, JSON-RPC - to the latest code base as well.

So, the JavaOne conference is in three weeks, would it make sense to try to have a Tuscany release by then?

We could integrate in that release what we already have working in trunk, mature and stabilize our SPIs and our extensibility story, and this would be a good foundation for people to use, embed or extend.

On top of that, I think it would be really cool to do some work to:
- Make it easier to assemble a distributed SCA domain with components running on different runtimes / machines. - Improve our scripting and JSON-RPC support a little and show how to build Web 2.0 applications with Tuscany. - Improve our integration story with Tomcat and also start looking at an integration with Geronimo. - Improve our Spring-based core variant implementation, as I think it's a good example to show how to integrate Tuscany with other IoC containers.
- Maybe start looking at the equivalent using Google Guice.
- Start looking again at some of the extensions that we have in contrib or sandboxes (OSGI, ServiceMix, I think there's a Fractal extension in sandbox, more databindings etc).
- ...

I'm not sure we can do all of that in the next few weeks :) but I'd like to get your thoughts and see what people in the community would like to have in that next release...