I didn't. I looked at both versions of maven-jaxb-plugin at
https://maven-repository.dev.java.net/repository/com.sun.tools.xjc.maven2/poms/and
both have the odd characters in. There seem to be other
implementations
of the maven-jaxb-plugin around and I tried the ones I could find but got
NPEs in maven. Not sure whether this is the version of the plugin, the
version of jaxb or a real problem. I'm not that faimiliar with JAXB and what
version works with what so I don't have a quick fix. Also tried upgrading my
JDK but that didn't work either.  Am already on Maven 2.0.6.

Happy to try any other ideas people have.

What I have to do is work backwards through this and work out what version
of what will actually work for us (I find trying to work this out for maven
plugins very difficult) and see if I can get a combination that doesn't have
the author name with the non-UTF8 character or where this particular fault
has been fixed. Failing this we will have to get on whatever mail list deals
with it and ask for a fix.

As it stands we can offer a manual fix for anyone who has Linux/IBM JDK, i.e.
run the build until it fails and then remove the problematic characters
manually from the offending pom in the local repo.

I can't say how long this will take but I think we need to get on with the
release and address is next time.