Everybody knows what to expect from a wiki (due to wikis very nature) and what
to expect from an official website.
AFAIK, if a content is not developed and/or entirely controlled by the
committers then it can not be called official. There have been endless
discussions on this topic on infra@
Making it official means the backing not just from the project but from Apache
Software Foundation; that means it's an official Apache site.

Last time I checked, websites should be served from mino and confluence based
wikis from brutus and whenever possible access the autoexported HTML content
instead of native confluence.
As I said before, pls check with infra because some of these things may have
changed.

The problem with Confluence is that it is so cool to use and you can do so much
than sometimes you forget it's main purpose, to be a wiki.
For Geronimo we have multiple spaces, most of them are aligned with the "wiki"
philosophy and we use them for documentation. Then we have a private (view restricted)
space for TCK and one for the website where only Geronimo committers have edit access.
So, we have a website and a separate wiki.

Hope this clarifies the things a bit. Check with infra for the latest
guidelines.

Cheers!
Hernan

Simon Nash wrote:
I would be disappointed to lose the ability to contribute directly to
the Web site pages.  When the move to a wiki-based approach was first
discussed, one of the benefits was that it would not be necessary to
limit updates to committers as was the case with the previous web site.
Would it be possible to have some level of access control for edits
that is somewhat broader than the list of code committers, but not
opened up to everyone in the world?

Regarding Ant's comment, I think the alternative proposed wording
currently in the page is good..."Since the wiki content forms the
backbone for the public website content, its structure is documented
here to help keep it maintainable."

  Simon

Hernan Cunico wrote:

You will have to restrict edit to just committers if you want to make this Confluence space your "official" web site. I strongly recommend you folks discuss this with Infra@ as you will also need Confluence admin auth to control your own user groups.

Cheers!
Hernan
ant elder wrote:

I don't like this bit:

"Since the Wiki content forms the backbone for the public website content, it is important that the community adheres to some community accepted common guidelines when authoring content on the Wiki, to help in consistency and
maintainability of the content."

If we're worried about what happens on the website we should just restrict
access so only committers can update it, then, just as with the code, we
work CTR.

The website is looking good now, much better than before, but IMHO that
doesn't mean its perfect or that we should try to restrict or control any
future changes to it.

  ...ant