I would like to make a start on improving the modularity of the
distro by building a distro containing only a base SCA runtime.
Sebastien's description of this was
 - base SCA runtime (assembly, policy fwk, impl-java)
If others would like to propose any changes to this list and/or
suggest which maven modules should be included, that would be
helpful.  Otherwise I'll go through the modules myself to make
a first cut and iterate from there.

I think this will be a useful excercise in seeing how small we
can make this basic functionality and its dependencies.  It will
also allow us to explore some of the dependency issues between
modules (official SPIs or implementation code) in a smaller and
simpler world than the whole of Tuscany SCA Java.

For now I'd like to consider this a personal experiment that may
or may not ever get released.  For this reason, I'd like to do this
work in my sandbox.  I haven't yet figured out how to do a sandbox
build that pulls in code from the trunk, without copying it.  Does
anyone else have an example of this that I could look at?

Expect a number of these "how to" questions as I get further into
this :-)

  Simon

Rajini Sivaram wrote:

Simon,

I did take a look at splitting the Tuscany distribution into bundles with
the hope of defining something which makes sense for OSGi as well as
non-OSGi. I dont really think that makes much sense anymore. Grouping
modules into OSGi bundles using existing maven plugins was far too time
consuming (in terms of the amount of time it took to do a build), and quite
messy.

So I would like to go for a simpler option for OSGi where the the zip/jar
files generated for the Tuscany distribution have a manifest file containing
OSGi bundle manifest entries, so that they can be directly installed into
OSGi (with an easy repackaging option to get rid of samples from the bundle
if the bundle size was too big). I would also like to add OSGi manifest
entries into all jars distributed by Tuscany including 3rd party jars, so
that we can use the OSGi bundle repository API to install Tuscany into an
OSGi runtime, instead of relying on Tuscany distribution structure.

I have an Eclipse plugin which shows the dependency graphs based on the
import/export statements generated by the maven-bundle-plugin. I could
compare these with the dependencies you generated (it might help to add
appropriate scopes to the dependencies).

Thank you...

Regards,

Rajini