Rajini Sivaram wrote:
Simon,

I did take a look at splitting the Tuscany distribution into bundles with
the hope of defining something which makes sense for OSGi as well as
non-OSGi. I dont really think that makes much sense anymore. Grouping
modules into OSGi bundles using existing maven plugins was far too time
consuming (in terms of the amount of time it took to do a build), and quite
messy.

So I would like to go for a simpler option for OSGi where the the zip/jar
files generated for the Tuscany distribution have a manifest file containing
OSGi bundle manifest entries, so that they can be directly installed into
OSGi

+1 from me, I'm glad you reached that conclusion, after thinking about it that was the only option that made sense to me :)

(with an easy repackaging option to get rid of samples from the bundle
if the bundle size was too big).

Didn't quite get that, can you explain?

I would also like to add OSGi manifest
entries into all jars distributed by Tuscany including 3rd party jars, so
that we can use the OSGi bundle repository API to install Tuscany into an
OSGi runtime, instead of relying on Tuscany distribution structure.

Not sure I'd like to go and change 3rd party dependency jars... but that triggers a very basic question:

Independent of Tuscany, isn't this something that every OSGi user is going to bump into with non-OSGified 3rd party jars? What is the best practice in the OSGi community for this issue these days?

I have an Eclipse plugin which shows the dependency graphs based on the
import/export statements generated by the maven-bundle-plugin. I could
compare these with the dependencies you generated (it might help to add
appropriate scopes to the dependencies).

Great, that'll help. Thanks.