Thanks thats helpful. Let me take this to the extreme so you can point out
where it loses the plot to help me understand what you're saying:

The idea is eventually there might be standardized interfaces for all the
SCA runtime plug points, many of the Tuscany things for the various SCDL and
SPI interfaces - tuscany-assembly, tuscany-spi etc - that right now we have
in org.apache.tuscany.sca namespace might one day be standardized
interfaces, just like the org.osoa.sca.* interfaces for application Java
implementations to use, and there would be a standard way to define new
binidng and implementation extensions in the definitions.xml.

Anyone could make an SCA contribution that would add a binding or
implementation type which once contributed to an SCA domain then other
contributions in the domain could use in their SCA assemblies. And this new
binding contribution would work in any runtime that supported SCA just like
application SCA contributions should.

So as a simple example, say a file binding that component service or
references could use to read and write to a file system. That could be
packaged in a regular jar which has a meta-inf/definitions.xml along the
lines of:

<definitions ... >
   <bindingType type="binding.file" ... >
       ...elements and attributes defining the binding.file schema and
implementation classes ...
   </bindingType>
</definitions>

and all the file binding implementation classes within that file binding
contribution jar would implement only standard interfaces, nothing at all
Tuscany specific in the contribution.

The splitting out all the various Tuscany SCDL classes and SPIs points into
interfaces happened when we did the 0.90 rewrite so binding and
implementation type extensions can now be written using only interfaces, but
the pluggablity mechanism is still quite Tuscany specific. So is whats being
suggested with this definitions.xml work starting on the road to coming up
with a less Tuscany specific way of doing that, it would still be in a
Tuscany namespace for now just as the various Tuscany SPI interfaces are,
but in the future all this would be defined in some SCA spec , but it would
just be a refactor in Tuscany to move to that spec namespace instead of a
complete rewrite?

Is that anything like what you had in mind?

   ...ant