formatting, so I'll mark my responses with <dab> </dab>

Dave

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: ant elder
  To: scabooz
  Cc: tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org
  Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 2:03 PM
  Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Declaring extensions as being available in the domain

  Thanks thats helpful. Let me take this to the extreme so you can point out
where it loses the plot to help me understand what you're saying:

  The idea is eventually there might be standardized interfaces for all the SCA
runtime plug points, many of the Tuscany things for the various SCDL and SPI
interfaces - tuscany-assembly, tuscany-spi etc - that right now we have in
org.apache.tuscany.sca namespace might one day be standardized interfaces, just
like the org.osoa.sca.* interfaces for application Java implementations to use,
and there would be a standard way to define new binidng and implementation
extensions in the definitions.xml.

  <dab> Yes, that is the idea/theory. </dab>

  Anyone could make an SCA contribution that would add a binding or
implementation type which once contributed to an SCA domain then other
contributions in the domain could use in their SCA assemblies. And this new
binding contribution would work in any runtime that supported SCA just like
application SCA contributions should.

  <dab> yes </dab>

  So as a simple example, say a file binding that component service or
references could use to read and write to a file system. That could be packaged
in a regular jar which has a meta-inf/definitions.xml along the lines of:

  <definitions ... >
     <bindingType type="binding.file" ... >
         ...elements and attributes defining the binding.file schema and
implementation classes ...
     </bindingType>
  </definitions>

  and all the file binding implementation classes within that file binding
contribution jar would implement only standard interfaces, nothing at all
Tuscany specific in the contribution.

  <dab> Good.  Only thing to add at this point is that the spec might decide
that the "jar" should be an OSGI bundle.  Would such a estriction help, or get
in the way? </dab>

  The splitting out all the various Tuscany SCDL classes and SPIs points into
interfaces happened when we did the 0.90 rewrite so binding and implementation
type extensions can now be written using only interfaces, but the pluggablity
mechanism is still quite Tuscany specific. So is whats being suggested with
this definitions.xml work starting on the road to coming up with a less Tuscany
specific way of doing that, it would still be in a Tuscany namespace for now
just as the various Tuscany SPI interfaces are, but in the future all this
would be defined in some SCA spec , but it would just be a refactor in Tuscany
to move to that spec namespace instead of a complete rewrite?

  <dab> Bingo. </dab>

  Is that anything like what you had in mind?

     ...ant