Ant,

+1 in general - by why not simply choose a number, rather than "x"?
- the problem with "x" is "what comes next?"

Yours,  Mike.

ant elder wrote:

Lots of different views so far on this thread, better than no one replying
:) I'm tempted to go with "1.x-SNAPSHOT" as I think from whats been said
most would be ok with that, please say if you would _not_ be unhappy with
it. Note that all other projects I've looked at use either a specific
numeric number followed by the "-SNAPSHOT" suffix, or else just the string
"SNAPSHOT" for the trunk version, so having the letter "x" as part of our
version number makes for an "unusual" version name. Don't see why it
shouldn't work though.