On 3/14/08, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the advice, it seems that the missing bundle activator
> was the basic problem, but then it started to get really funny (-;
>
> First, I just used the itest/osgi-tuscany bundles and got
> an error "missing .componentType side file .componentType".
> Ok, that seemed to be one step further.

I saw your JIRA, will take a look...

Then I used the OSGIBundleActivator in my own bundle (to be able
> to debug the code) - and again I got the "Could not locate OSGi
> bundle...".
> Hm, strange. Debugging a bit, I found that the class
> org.apache.tuscany.sca.osgi.runtime.EquinoxRuntime is missing
> a setBundleContext method like the one in ...FelixRuntime that
> also sets the static bundleContext variable in  EquinoxRuntime,
> because the instance bundleContext is set to null again else in
> OSGiRuntime.initialize(). I added this method and got the same
> message about missing .componentType files using my bundles. Fine.
>
> But why had the original itest-bundle worked without the patch? Debugging
> a bit more I found that it did not instantiate EquinoxRuntime, but
> FelixRuntime,
> because it did not find class
> org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter
> in EquinoxRuntime.getInstance(). Using my bundle it was probably found
> because I had added "DynamicImport-Package: *" to the MANIFEST.MF at some
> point.
> So I added org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor to the DynamicImport-Package
> entry
> in the manifest of the itest-runtime-bundle and replaced the
> EquinoxRuntime
> class with my patched version.
> (BTW, I suppose the same problem would occur with the KnopflerfishRuntime,
> but I did not do any tests).

Yes, both Equinox and Knopflerfish support haven't been kept uptodate with
changes to Tuscany. Since neither was available from a maven repository, we
couldn't include tests for these runtimes, and those classes do need some
work.

Now I get a

> java.lang.ClassCastException:
> org.apache.xerces.jaxp.datatype.DatatypeFactoryImpl
>        at javax.xml.datatype.DatatypeFactory.newInstance(
> DatatypeFactory.java:87)
>        at org.apache.tuscany.sca.databinding.impl.SimpleTypeMapperImpl
> .<init>(SimpleTypeMapperImpl.java:221)
>
> which is on the other hand actually very similar to the error message that
> occurs
> when I run "mvn" in itest/osgi-tuscany, e.g.:
>
> testOSGiTuscany_ImplementationJava(
> org.apache.tuscany.sca.test.osgi.tuscany.OSGi
> TuscanyRuntimeTestCase)  Time elapsed: 15.156 sec  <<< ERROR!
>        at
> org.apache.tuscany.sca.test.osgi.tuscany.OSGiTuscanyRuntimeTestCase.testOSGiTuscanyUsingOSGiClient
> (OSGiTuscanyRuntimeTestCase.java:106)
> Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
> javax.xml.datatype.DatatypeConfigurationException: Provider
> org.apache.xerces.jaxp.datatype.DatatypeFactoryImpl not found
>        at org.apache.tuscany.sca.databinding.impl.SimpleTypeMapperImpl
> .<init>(SimpleTypeMapperImpl.java:223)
> Caused by: javax.xml.datatype.DatatypeConfigurationException: Provider
> org.apache.xerces.jaxp.datatype.DatatypeFactoryImpl not found
>        at javax.xml.datatype.DatatypeFactory.newInstance(
> DatatypeFactory.java:93)
>        at org.apache.tuscany.sca.databinding.impl.SimpleTypeMapperImpl
> .<init>(SimpleTypeMapperImpl.java:221)
>        ... 37 more
> org.apache.xerces.jaxp.datatype.DatatypeFactoryImpl
>        at java.lang.ClassLoader.findClass(ClassLoader.java:358)
>        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
>        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
>        at
> org.apache.tuscany.sca.osgi.runtime.OSGiBundleActivator$BundleClassLoader.loadClass
> (OSGiBundleActivator.java:192)
>
> (same for testOSGiTuscany_BindingWS)

Could you update to the latest version of the itest/osgi-tuscany, and raise
a JIRA if you still get this exception? I haven't seen this failure before -
are you using the latest Tuscany snapshot?

So I think, there is crrently something wrong with the Manifest files in the
> itest-bundles
> The ones in my own bundles are quite simple: the 3rdparty bundle exports
> everything, the
> tuscany bundle even uses "Require-Bundle" to access everything in the
> 3rdparty bundle instead
> doing a sensible "Import-Package" ... but it seems to work for the moment.
> However, I'm not an OSGi expert myself, so I do not know where the problem
> is exactly.
>
> Should I raise a JIRA for any of this?

Could you raise JIRAs for the problems you encounter with Equinox? Or better
still, would you be interested in contributing fixes for Equinox support in
Tuscany?

Cheers,