Richard,

if you try to print sys.argv[1:] when sys.argv only contain sys.argv[0]
then you are bound to get an empty list returned, [] .

Im not sure I understand the problem you think you've got but here's
what happens with sys.argv for me, and it's correct.

[argl.py]

$ cat argl.py
#!/usr/bin/python

import sys