Got it. I manage to get it to save to disk, but only by using the shell to
create an empty dictionary then pickling it and saving it to a file. Priming
the pump as it were. I had thought i had read that when you pickle and save a
list or dictionary to file, if it didn't already exist, it would be created.
That hasn't been my experience. Had I misunderstood or Am i doing something
wrong?

Let me see if I understand your problem. You are pickling a dictionary and
finding that it will not work unless there already is an existing dictionary
for your pickled dictionary to write over. Otherwise, there is either no write
at all or the write is followed by a delete.  Is that a reasonable definition
of your current problem?

Robert Berman

Really close to it Robert. No delete but an error msg. Something akin to file
dosen't exist, not found , or words to that effect .
 Ken