On 06/14/2013 11:43 AM, Jim Mooney wrote:
On 13 June 2013 21:53, Dave Angel <da...@davea.name> wrote:

On 06/13/2013 11:55 PM, Jim Mooney wrote:

Alan Gauld <alan.ga...@btinternet.com>

This is for my own convenience on my own machine. As a former webmaster I'm
of course used to idiot-proofing anything released into the wild so it is
usable by everyone on every machine ;')

The script to change directories for PyScripter is a PyScripter startup
file, not a bat file. I meant I needed an additional bat file that would do
the same for MS-DOS.

You're not running MS-DOS. You're running a DOS BOX under Windows, which is a cmd shell.

 As usual I was marvelously unclear. But anyway, I
figured it out. Here is the batch for starting 2.7 and ensuring its in the
2.7 working directory. Since I'm running 2.7 and 3.3 I just want to make
sure I don't trip over my own feet. I know I could do all this with
virtualenv, but I'd rather a simple hack than all that mess. The two Pys
are now separated in every possible way:

MS batch file py27.bat

python2.7 -i -c "import os;os.chdir('c:/python27/jimprogs');del(os)

That seems rather silly.  Why not

------py27.bat-------
c:
cd \python27\jimprogs
python2.7 %$
---------------------

I probably don't have the right syntax for %$, but there is a pseudo-variable you can use which means "all the parameters that were on the batch file invocation. This is the generalization of %1 %2 %3 %4

There's also a pair of cmd.exe internal commands, with names something like SETLOCAL and ENDLOCAL that let you save and restore the current state of the environment including drive letter and current directory.

SETLOCAL
c:
cd \python27\jimprogs
python2.7 %$
ENDLOCAL

Or you could use PUSHD and POPD if the only thing you're customizing is the directory.

--
DaveA