On 14 June 2013 13:35, Dave Angel <da...@davea.name> wrote:

>> MS batch file py27.bat
>>
>> python2.7 -i -c "import os;os.chdir('c:/python27/**jimprogs');del(os)
>>

> That seems rather silly.  Why not
>
> ------py27.bat-------
> c:
> cd \python27\jimprogs
> python2.7 %$
> ---------------------

That's certainly easier, but since I was looking at   Python --help   and
saw the -c command I thought I'd try passing a program in as a string,
since I hadn't done that. I'm still learning and may try out weird stuff. I
just broke PyScripter and IDLE running some Fermat numbers, but discovered
they printed out just fine, at a dizzying speed, in the DOS box. It's a
useless program where you can barely read the results, but it was very
useful to find out the DOS box does something when the my IDE and IDLE
choke.  Midrange machine -this might actually work in a better IDE on a
high end machine:

import math
fermat = ["x is {} and y is {}".format(x,y) for x in range(1000) for y in
range(1000)
        if not isinstance(math.sqrt(x**2 + y**2),int)]

print(fermat)

DOS started printing almost instantly, which means DOS is much, much faster
than my IDE, since the entire list had to be figured before printing (which
took a long time in the IDEs ;')

Which means the IDE could fool me into thinking something takes forever to
run when it gallops in DOS. Useful to know.

Jim