On 15/06/13 20:18, Dotan Cohen wrote:
On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:
On 15/06/13 01:23, Dotan Cohen wrote:

What are these two string-formatting styles called?
'%.3f' % x
'{0:.3f}'.format(x)

"String formatting", and "string formatting" *wink*

Sometimes the first is called "string interpolation". Sometimes it is called
"printf-style formatting", after the C function.

Thank you. If I were to say "I prefer the first type over the second
type", without having the two types in front of me to demostrate which
is 'first' and which is 'second', then how might I word that? "I
prefer printf-style formatting over <?>".

"I prefer % formatting over str.format method."

"I prefer percent-formatting over brace-formatting."

"I prefer C-style string formatting over the newer string format method."

(or vice versa).

--
Steven