On 14 June 2013 10:56, Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> On 15/06/13 03:32, Jim Mooney wrote:
>
>  Now you're going to tell me there's a programmer's keyboard ;')
>>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**Space-cadet_keyboard<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-cadet_keyboard>
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/**wikipedia/commons/4/47/Space-**cadet.jpg<http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/Space-cadet.jpg>
>

> http://ageinghacker.net/hacks/**apl-keyboard/apl-keyboard-2.**jpg<http://ageinghacker.net/hacks/apl-keyboard/apl-keyboard-2.jpg>
>
> http://www.rexswain.com/**aplinfo.html<http://www.rexswain.com/aplinfo.html>

Alas, it looks like development stopped on programmer's keyboards quite a
while ago. I guess I'll just wait for voice-command and I can code while I
eat a burger.

Seriously, Python would be the best adapted for voice command with its
indenting and English-like syntax. A one-line javascript program littered
with symbols, probably not. You couldn't even think it out to say it. At
least I couldn't without typing it down, defeating the whole purpose of
voice command.

Although the string formatting just mentioned brings you right back to
head-spinning one-liners of arbitrary complexity; maybe the best would be
voice-command for basice concepts, while using the keyboard for stuff that
would twist your tongue.

Of course, by the time voice command gets really good, computers will be
writing the programs, and programmers will be meta-programming using visual
syntax - combining colored and adaptable object blocks in 3-D. Back to
playing with blocks. Cool.

I'm probably going to hear that's already been done, too ;')

Jim
"Knock, knock!" "Who's there?" "Me." "We got no room - go away"
   Three years later
"Knock, knock!" "Who's there?" "Nobody" "Plenty of room for nobody - please
come in."