On 06/14/2013 03:09 PM, Jim Mooney wrote:
    <SNIP>

Of course, the real consideration, for those thinking of programming as a
career path, is whether programmers will be as obsolete at gaslighters in
twenty years - or will they be doing some sort of weird meta-programming?

You mean you don't write your own microcode in hex? New fangled computers get between us and the hardware. Give me instructions that directly manipulate voltages, and I'll be happy again.

I have to admit, though that back when I was doing microcode work, I wrote my own assemblers (four at least) to at least avoid typing the hex.

--
DaveA