On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 10:58 AM, boB Stepp <robertvst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 3:20 AM, Laura Creighton <l...@openend.se> wrote:
>> In a message of Fri, 24 Apr 2015 20:24:38 -0500, boB Stepp writes:

>>>I think that I can get an exception here (See a post in response that
>>>I made earlier today.). What I am *certain* of, is that I cannot
>>>install anything on our clinical planning environment. The Solaris
>>>workstation that I now have all to myself--I'm thinking they will now
>>>let me do what I want with it. But I must double check... But anything
>>>I develop there *should* work in the clinical environment. The
>>>planning software is the same though that may change soon as there are
>>>plans to go up a version and they may not want to do that on my
>>>testing/development machine.
>>
>> This thought 'if it works here, it ought to work there' is an unworthy
>> thought for somebody who has learned to test their code. ;)  You go to your
>> new machine.  You pull down your tests and your code.  You run all your
>> tests.  When they pass, you don't just _think_ that the code _ought to_
>> run here -- you _know_ the code will run because it passes all its tests.
>
> You have a very gentle way of chastising me! ~(:>))

While driving around doing chores today, I realized that I have been
incredibly dense here! Of course I can carry my testing suites, etc.,
over to the production environment: This is will be all part of my
code base, which I AM allowed to implement. Duh! If all Python
standard libraries are installed on the two Python environments (2.4
and 2.6), then testing should not be an issue, other than taking the
time to backtrack and get it going.

Now VCS/DVCS programs is another matter entirely, but after hearing
Laura's and Alan's input, one or both these solutions can surely be
implemented. But is even this an issue? If I do my actual code writing
on my Windows PC on which I AM allowed to install Git or whatever, and
FTP the code to run to either the 810X or the production SE
environments, then I will always have version control in place. I
reread Steven's post tonight, and he actually answered affirmatively
to this question; it just did not penetrate until this evening.

boB