On 31 July 2017 at 14:45, Wolfgang Maier
<wolfgang.ma...@biologie.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> On 07/31/2017 03:31 AM, Mats Wichmann wrote:
>>
>> since this all opinions :), I don't think idle is worth bothering with.
>> for editor that can do ide like things, consider atom (free, get a bunch of
>> plugins) or sublime text (not free). for a full ide, pycharm is great
>> (community edition free). for a lightweight ide to get started, i liked
>> thonny when i trialed it at somebody's request, but do look at that wiki
>> page, tons of choices there.
>

> As you're saying, it is all about opinion here so let me defend IDLE here.
> There may be more powerful IDEs than IDLE, but it takes you a long way (far
> beyond beginner/scripting level) and, of interest if you are ever writing
> Python code on a Windows machine, typically comes installed together with
> the Python interpreter there, so you will find it on many machines (even
> ones you are not allowed to install other software on).

IDLE is one step up from Notepad. Which makes it a pretty terrible
editor. It even lacks line numbers, which is an elementary feature,
and a necessity for debugging (tracebacks!)

On the other hand, some of the better editors (eg. Visual Studio Code)
provide .zip packages that do not require installation and can even
run off a USB stick.

PGP: 5EAAEA16