On 07/31/2017 02:53 PM, Chris Warrick wrote:
On 31 July 2017 at 14:45, Wolfgang Maier
<wolfgang.ma...@biologie.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
On 07/31/2017 03:31 AM, Mats Wichmann wrote:

since this all opinions :), I don't think idle is worth bothering with.
for editor that can do ide like things, consider atom (free, get a bunch of
plugins) or sublime text (not free). for a full ide, pycharm is great
(community edition free). for a lightweight ide to get started, i liked
thonny when i trialed it at somebody's request, but do look at that wiki
page, tons of choices there.

As you're saying, it is all about opinion here so let me defend IDLE here.
There may be more powerful IDEs than IDLE, but it takes you a long way (far
beyond beginner/scripting level) and, of interest if you are ever writing
Python code on a Windows machine, typically comes installed together with
the Python interpreter there, so you will find it on many machines (even
ones you are not allowed to install other software on).

IDLE is one step up from Notepad. Which makes it a pretty terrible
editor. It even lacks line numbers, which is an elementary feature,
and a necessity for debugging (tracebacks!)

- Displays current line number in lower right corner
- Has a goto line number option
- Lets you right-click line numbers ,emtioned in tracebacks, then jump right there

Have no intention to start a but-whatever-ide-is-better-debate