On 06/02/2019 18:51, ingo janssen wrote:

On 06/02/2019 19:07, Mark Lawrence wrote:

That's going to a lot of work slicing and dicing the input lists. Perhaps a chunked recipe like this https://more-itertools.readthedocs.io/en/stable/api.html#more_itertools.chunked would be better.

The length of the text chunks varies from a single character to a list of ~30 3D vectors.

So what, you still don't need to chop the front from the list, just process the data.

I'd like to adapt the order in that the functions are applied, but how?

I suspect that you're trying to over complicate things, what's wrong with a simple if/elif chain, a switch based on a dict or similar?

You mean create a list with the order=[a,b,e,d...]
if a in order:
   f_vector_array(a, 3)
elseif b in order:
   f_value(max_radius)

that would run the proper function, but not in the right order?

Again I've no idea what you're saying here.

for i, line in enumerate(open("vorodat.vol",'r')):
   points = i+1

enumerate takes a start argument so you shouldn't need the above line.

points is needed later on in the program and I don't know beforehand how many lines I have.

Now you tell us :-(

I thought about putting the functions in a dict and then create a list with the proper order, but can't get it to work.

Please show us your code and exactly why it didn't work.

def f_vector_array(outlist, length):
   rv = pop_left_slice(line, length)
   rv = [f'<{i[1:-1]}>' for i in rv]  #i format is: '(1.234,2.345,3.456)'
   rv = ",".join(rv)
  outlist.append(f"  //label: {lbl}\n  array[{length}]"+"{\n "+rv+"\n }\n")

functions={
  'a':f_number(num_vertex),
  'b':f_vector_array(rel_vertex,v)
}
where rel_vertex is the list where to move the processed data to and v the amount of text to chop of the front of the line. v is not known when defining the dictionary. v comes from an other function v=f_number(num_vertex) that also should live in the dict.

You don't need to specify the parameters in the dict, just give the function name.

then loop order=[a,b,e,d...] for each line

What has a loop order got to do with using a dict?

I'm not absolutely sure what you're saying here, but would something like the SortedList from http://www.grantjenks.com/docs/sortedcontainers/ help?

Maybe this explains it better, assume the split input lines:
line1=[a,b,c,d,e,f,...]
line2=[a,b,c,d,e,f,...]
line3=[a,b,c,d,e,f,...]
line100000=...

all data on position a should go to list a

a=[a1,a2,a3,...a_n]
b=[b1,b2,b3,...b_n]
c=[c1,c2,c3,...n_n]
etc.

this is what for example the function f_vector_array(a, 3) does.

Why bother, just have a list of lists and index on the position, or are we talking at cross purposes?

All these lists have to be written to a single file, each list contains 100000 items. Instead of keeping it all in memory I could write a1 to a temp file A instead of putting it in a list first and b1 to a temp file B etc. in the next loop a2 to file A, b2 to file B etc. When all lines are processed combine the files A,B,C ... to a single file. Or is there a more practical way? Speed is not important.

What is your definition of "combine the files A,B,C ... to a single file"?

ingo

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence