On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 at 01:44, Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor@python.org> wrote:

> On 15/07/2019 21:28, Mats Wichmann wrote:
>
> > course Python can do that too, by working line-at-a-time, explicitly by
> > calling readlines() or implicitly by looping over the file handle. The
> > latter looks something like this;
> >
> > with open("/path/to/datafile", "r") as f:
> >     for line in f:
> >         if REDFLAGTEXT in line:  # skip these
> >             continue
> >         do-something-with line
>
> All true, but sed - once you get used to it! - is easier IMHO
> and usually faster than Python - it's written in C...

I always think I'll like sed but whenever I actually try to use it I
just can't get the syntax together. I do use vim and can do
find/replace there. It seems like every different utility grep, egrep,
sed, vim etc has subtly different escaping rules or maybe I just
haven't got my head around it.

When writing this pull request:
https://github.com/sympy/sympy_doc/pull/32
I spent something like 15 minutes trying to get sed to work before
giving up. It took me 2 minutes to write and run the Python script
that I ended up using.

Oscar