On 16/07/2019 09:59, Oscar Benjamin wrote:

>> All true, but sed - once you get used to it! - is easier IMHO
>> and usually faster than Python - it's written in C...
>
> I always think I'll like sed but whenever I actually try to use it I
> just can't get the syntax together.

Id been using awk and sed for 15 years before I discovered
Python (and perl) so they are kind of second nature.

If you can't settle with sed try awk, it's much simpler to
use and almost as powerful but not as fast. I think awk is
one of the most neglected of the *nix tools now that
scripting languages like perl/python/ruby exist. But for
line by line file processing it is superb.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site