Mats Wichmann schreef op 3/08/2019 om 19:16:
file_count
line_count
byte_count

why not "files", "lines", "bytes"... the plural form already tells you
it's a counter.

Opinions, we all have 'em  :)

We do, and in this case I strongly disagree with yours :)

To me a plural indicates a collection of items, not a number of items. It may seem a small detail, but when I see "files" in a codebase to indicate a count, instead of "file_count" or "nr_files" or "num_files", it always takes me a moment of reflection to graps the meaning. Every time again.

If you use plural to indicate counts, what do you use for collections of items?

--
"Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a
friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger."

Roel Schroeven