On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 1:22 PM Marissa Russo <mruss...@u.rochester.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to figure out what is going on and why my output is saying
> “<function mean at …….>” instead of giving me a number. Please let me know if
> you see the error in my code!!

Marissa, you have lots of problems here.  First, you should copy and
paste the complete traceback instead of the snippet you showed.
> import math
>
> def get_numbers():
>     print("This program will compute the mean and standard deviation")
>     file1 = input("Please enter the first filename: ")
>     file2 = input("Please enter the second filename: ")
>     x = open(file1, "r")
>     y = open(file2, "r")
>     nums = x.readlines()
>     nums2 = y.readlines()
>
>     return nums, nums2

Above. You are returning a string of all the data in your files.. is
that what you want?

> def mean(nums):
>     for num in nums:
>         _sum += num
>     return _sum / len(nums)

Your traceback probably is complaining about _sum +=.  You can't add
to a variable that doesn't exists.  Maybe try _sum = 0 above your for
loop

> def mean2(nums2):
>     for num in nums2:
>         _sum += nums2
>     return _sum / len(nums2)
>
> def main():
>     data = get_numbers()

Ok, so you call a function which will return a tuple with two values
into data.  But you don't do anything with data

You might put this here:

m = mean(data[0])
m2 = mean2(data[1])

then print m and m2

>     print("The mean of the first file is: ", mean)
>     print("The mean of the second file is: ", mean2)
> main()

So, first, show the complete error message here.

Joel Goldstick
http://joelgoldstick.com/blog
http://cc-baseballstats.info/stats/birthdays