Albert Cahalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 06:13, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
>> Albert Cahalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>
>>> +#define VIDEO_BPP 15 // saves memory
>>
>> This causes severe dithering artifacts. It's particularly
>> visible on the colour buckets, which look look *really* bad
>> now.
>
> Odd. Is your display actually in 16 bpp mode?

24. I use 32 in Windows, but it looks my driver only supports 24
in Linux (or it may just be the resolution-changer GUI that
doesn't support 32). I have only tested this in Linux.

> For me, the 16 bpp value was horrid, and the 15 bpp value is
> indistinguishable from 24 or 32.

For me, 15 bpp looks bad, 16 bpp looks OK, and 24 and 32 look
great (and identical, which they of course should).

>>> +//#define VIDEO_BPP 16 // causes purple discoloration
>>
>> And even white (!) aren't properly handled!
>
> This setting is severely defective. Try this: Fill the
> screen with dark grey. Put a bunch of small light grey
> spots packed closely together, so that you can blur them
> to make a medium grey color. Now do that... and you see
> a purple tint after a while.

Oh, so *that's* why the blur tool malfunctions. I've experienced
problems with it before, where it turns white and black to green.

>> Is there any reason we can't use 32 bit mode?
>
> Pro:
>
> 1. accurate
> 2. less bit shifting and alignment trouble
> 3. can rip out some slow N-bpp to 32-bpp conversion code
>
> Con:
>
> 1. undo buffers take up 2x space
> 2. less of the image will fit in the CPU's cache

Well, then I think it's worth moving to 32/24 bit. Memory is
cheap, and we really can't have a drawing program that doesn't
handle colours properly, can we?!

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer