Albert Cahalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 15:26, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
>
>> Yes, I know. But that doesn't mean that a greyish blue is a
>> *good* colour to use for drawing cartoon-like sky in a
>> childrens' program. We don't need photo-realistic colours; we
>> need useful, good-looking colours.

> Conflict? :-)

No. There's a difference between (non-grey) colours and bright,
eye-blinding colours. I prefer the former. :)

>> Yes, I know. That's why I don't like to use 'silver' as a
>> colour. What I didn't understand was why you thought 'light
>> grey' might be difficult to read.
>
> lig-hit grey

I'm still not convinced.

>> The stamp tinting code tints stamps to the tint of the
>> colours, and AFAICS works correctly. The colours were the
>> problems, and were easy to fix. The new colours weren't
>> less-desired,
>
> The tinting code does not work correctly, because it ignores
> the brightness.

But isn't that a *good* thing? I believe a colour should only
change the hue of a stamp, not its brightness. (But since you seem
to have a different algorithm in mind, I'll wait till seeing this
before deciding.)

> Purple is dark magenta. I'm not sure what to
> call that color there now, but it isn't purple.

Well, it's actually closer to what people call purple (or deep
purple) than the old colour was. See for example:
http://images.google.com/images?q=purple

(But colour names vary greatly, and there are no established
standards. Or, in fact, there are many colour name standards, and
many of them have several variants of 'purple'.)

The old colour was more 'red violet' (yes this is a term, even if
red and violet are on opposite sides of the physical colour
spectrum).

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer