On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 00:48, John Popplewell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just checked out cvs and tried to build it - lots of errors, no surprise
> - its been a while.
>
> A number of them are because I had to change to compiling 'tuxpaint.c'
> as C++ code because of new variable declarations in the middle of
> functions - a style I like, by the way.

Ugh. It's still C. The 1999 standard introduces the ability
to declare variables that are not at the beginning of a block.
(even the 1989 standard allowed declarations at the beginning
of any block, such as right after the "{" of an "if")

> These points are about MSVC++ errors not warnings:
>  - mixing signed/unsigned char*
>  - 'missing' casts on the return value of malloc() and calloc()

That's because you're not using a C compiler. It's 2004 now,
can't you come up with a 1999-standard C compiler for Windows?

I'd much rather move the variable declarations to the beginning
of a block (not all the way to the top of functions) if you are
unable to come up with a 1999+ compiler for Windows.

> Shall I just check in my changes and be dammed? :-)

No. It's really nasty the way C++ castrated void. I think the
committee basically hated void and wanted to kill it.