On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 10:09:33AM -0500, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 09:20, John Popplewell wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 02:08:38AM -0500, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> > > Doesn't Intel offer a free compiler that you can use?
> > > I think it even drops right into Visual Studio, in case
> > > you like that environment.
> > >
> > I don't think it's free. There is mention of $399.
>
> That's if you want suport, or want to do a for-pay project.
> There's an eveluation and education version that you are
> allowed to use for stuff like Tux Paint. (last I checked)
I saw the 30-day evaluation version. I will download it and read about
what happens after 30-days. It would be great if it was suitable for
stuff like Tux Paint.

There is definitely a non-commercial download for the Intel C++ Compiler
for Linux, perhaps you are thinking of this?

> Intel supports some of the special gcc features too.
Interesting. I managed to find a PDF about this.

> > > There's also gcc for Windows.
> > I'm going to have a go at using the VC built libraries, and build Tux
> > Paint with the MinGW/MSYS tools.
> >
> > I've had limited success in the past though, successfully building SDL
> > and a few other libraries but horrible auto* problems or no support at
> > all for the other dependencies
>
> I had enough trouble on an AMD64 system once.
>
> > I think I'll have a look at the Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 that
> > they are giving away as well.
>
> Ah yes, I forgot that one. You can get the command-line
> compiler for free, right? It should plug right into your
> existing Visual Studio.
It _compiles_ existing projects OK, and stuff like this now works:

for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++) printf(".");
for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++) printf(".");

whereas it used to choke on the second definition of i. Brain-dead!

but I can't get it to _link_. From reading around, to build Windows
applications, it seems to need some bits from the platform SDK which is
320M or the .NET SDK which I seem to remember swearing never to touch.

Still, I said that about XP, and ended up effectively being forced to
buy a copy anyway ... :-)

Still, I'm sure no-one's interested in my Windows related problems, I
know I'm finding it difficult to care.

You want Tux Paint? Boot off this customised Knoppix CD and shut-up!
Save your pictures onto a USB pen-drive or that network-share over there
:-)

cheers,
John.
Not all bitter and twisted-up inside yet ....