On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Kevin M. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Basically, my argument about newer technology is the same as the
> argument made about newer cars. Things used to be built to last, but
> now they seem to be built with expiration dates printed on them (SNIP) CBS
> Radio just had a report last night
> about a mechanic who has found it easier to convert cars from the '50s
> and '60s into hybrids and even full-electric vehicles, and can do so
> for a few hundred bucks (he's done cars for several celebrities).

I don't know anything about converting old cars to electric. I do know
a little about the way they "used to" make cars (if the 1970s
qualifies as "used to" - 30+ years ago). Most of the cars sold then
were pieces of poorly formed crap - far inferior to cars sold today
(even American cars sold today).

As we say in my business, the plural of anecdote is not data, but if
we are collecting stories: I have purchased 5 DVRs so far; three
lasted/have lasted longer than any VCR I ever owned; 1 (replacement
for the first and oldest DVR) never worked right and frizzled within
months; the 5th functions as it is intended to (though, since it is a
DirectTV non-TiVo DVR, that means it does not function very well).

BTW, I am not sure why we hear so many VCR/DVR dichotomies on this
list. I still own 2 VCRs (they are cheap dual VCR/DVD players). There
is nothing mutually exclusive about the devices.  I use them to
transfer DVR material to tape, and watch old videotapes. If and when
taping on the VCR is more convenient or superior to recording on a
DVR, I will be ready (such an occurrence has never happened, but I am
open to the possibility).