I enjoyed it very much.  It's not a perfect film, but its problems aren't
fatal.  In the top third of Trek movies.

FWIW, long time fan (from 1981).  Didn't think they needed to make this film
when I first heard about it, Nimoy's support persuaded me not to reject it, and
the early promos convinced me that Chris Pine wouldn't suck - my only real
concern amongst the cast.

If you never cared for Star Trek, this film won't change your mind.  If you
don't like the idea of rebooting (and this is really a reboot), this film
probably won't change your mind.  If you preferred one of the spinoffs, I think
you should give this film a chance.  Those familiar with the show will find
plenty to enjoy, but I don't think you have to know much about the show to like
the film.

I disagree with a couple of Ebert's points in his review (generally positive,
3.5 out of 5), one I won't mention as it's sort of plot-centric.  He seems to
think the flash and bang pushed out the more message-oriented parts of Trek, I
think they might distract from it.  He might come around should he view the
film again.  Today's review in WaPo is a bit too clever by half, but I'm as
positive about the film as that review and the one in the Boston Globe.

David

From: Steve Timko <steveti...@gmail.com>

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 9:02 PM, David Bruggeman <bru...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I didn't bother with the coupon and just had some for a late dinner on the
> way back from a Star Trek screening.  While the chicken was cooked fine and
> all, there was nothing distinctively KFC (or "KGC") about it.  Certainly not
> worth this kind of fuss.

How good is the new Star Trek?