On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 10:14 PM, Karla
Robinson<karlasrobin...@zoominternet.net> wrote:
> I love Scottish Conan.  I just don’t get how he puts up with the
> schedule…the “let’s film this interview on Tuesday, and this one on
> Thursday, and this musical act on Friday, and edit it all together like it’s
> one program.”  Dave or Irish Conan wouldn’t put up with that crap…why does
> he?

A lot of that comes down to the misconception (as discussed in a
ratings. Someone at CBS will tell the folks at Late Late Show that
they need a top celebrity -- let's say Paris Hilton -- to draw in the
desired demographic, but she's in town specifically to do the Tonight
Show. So an agreement is made between all parties to tape her segment
for airing at a later date (possibly even weeks later) so it does not
directly conflict with the Tonight Show appearance. Couple that with
CBS not wanting to invest heavily in the show to begin with (Craig's
move to HD only came about because other studios inide CBS TV City
were being refit for HD -- it had nothing to do with the show itself,
CBS just went with a bulk discount on HD gear), and you end up with
the piecemeal end product.

Snyder experienced the same frustrations when he was at CBS (and I can
only imagine the meetings when producers told him he'd be pretaping
segments), but Snyder always made a point of informing viewers when
the show wasn't live or live-to-tape (Craig will sometimes make jokes
about it, pretending to forget what day of the week it is, and so on).

And, to the best of my knowledge, all of the syndicated talk show
hosts in daytime experience the same situation. I remember, back when
Howie Mandel had his talk show, his studio audience almost strangled
him after he announced a set of big names appearing on the show that
day (I think Mel Gibson was one of them, the pre-insanity Mel), then
once they went to a commercial break it was announced the guests were
pretaped and the studio audience would only be seeing "the cake lady,"
an elderly woman from Pasadena who owned a museum dedicated to cakes.

>From people I know who work on the various shows or who have attended
tapings, Ellen, Rachel Ray, and Bonnie Hunt all pretape segments --
usually musical acts who are on a given studio lot doing another show
(talent bookers are known to beg musicians to walk across a studio lot
and play for their audience, which most musicians prefer to sitting
around eating greenroom food).

Keep in mind, too, that Dave pretapes an entire show each week, albeit
in sequence, but I still find that as tacky. The way the Friday night
monologue jokes are vague ("I was reading an article in a magazine a
while ago about some guy...") and the desk segment (usually Fun Facts)
doesn't relate in any way to the events of the day or even the week --
annoying. Of course, he may have changed that, I still can't bring
myself to watch him since The Apology.