n Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Joe Hass <hassgoc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Steve Rhodes <srho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN6Q2YFFteQ
>
> Someone help me with some background on this.
>
> I knew that Dave wasn't a huge fan of Jay. I don't know if something
> else happened, but that segment was almost cruelly against Jay, to the
> point where I was getting uncomfortable with the mocking
> impersonation. I'm no Jay fan, and I'm not absolving himself of blame
> in this, but I walked away from that segment thinking Dave was being
> almost cruel to Jay (while not absolving NBC).
>
> Yes, I understand that it's a comedy program, and it's about the
> laughs, but that seemed more of an attack on Leno than on NBC. I also
> freely admit I don't usually watch either of them. But holy crap: did
> Jay run over Dave's dog or something?

I did not see it that way at all. The Leno impersonation is about 10" of
this 5' clip (Conan has been doing a much more frequent, better, and biting
Leno impersonation the last couple of days). The biggest bite in this bit
for Leno is Dave's shot at him as a "man of the people" working on a pickup
truck, but that is pretty mild. I think it is clear that Dave sides with
Conan in this thing, and sees the screwing he is getting from NBC as similar
to what Dave got, and Leno happens to be the beneficiary in both cases. But
I don't think Dave came even close to being cruel towards Leno here - indeed
I was surprised it was as mild as it was. OTOH, he really tore into Carson
Daley.