----- Original Message ----- From: PGage

(though I still can not decipher what they mean by off-sides, and it is unclear to me what a tackle is, and which ones are legal and which are not).

The attacker must be the closest offensive player on an active play -- i.e., not on a restart -- to the goal, given at most two defenders. Any non-attacker closer to the goal is considered offside. It is only a whistle if the non-attacker becomes directly involved in the play. It's similar to offsides in hockey, except the "blue line" is tied in to the position of the attacker, the "puck" is any other offensive player, and it is not an automatic whistle.

A tackle is any play resulting in the active dispossession of the attacker -- i.e., not a shot on goal. The tackle is legal as long as the defender is going after the ball and not the attacker. Of course, certain moves which the put the attacker at risk for injury are whistled as illegal.

(Meanwhile, I continue to brush up on soccer rules in advance of this Saturday's NY-at-KC match where, oddly enough, I will be personally greeted by a member of the Wizards' ticket office whose great-grandfather once served as mayor of a nearby municipality.)

_  _
|_>|_>  Brad Beam- Belle WV
|_>|_> http://www.facebook.com/74bmw