On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 7:51 PM, donz5 <do...@aol.com> wrote:

> Thus, the sentence in the book reads: ..."a stream of cabs and limos
> was snaking slowly down West Forty-third Street..."
>
> No comma in the passage; "down" should be "across."

Not sure where Bill Carter is from, but this may be one of those
NYC/East Coast things like "on line" versus "in line." Where I come
from (Southern California), across the street isn't a reference to
points on a compass. If I travel across a given street, I am not
driving, riding, or walking in any direction on the road. Rather, I'm
crossing it while on another road, i.e. "The Starbucks was on the far
corner, so he went across the street to get to it." Carter's usage of
the word down seems to gel with my understanding of it. The cars were
traveling on 43rd St -- up or down would both be applicable given that
concept.