If I may put in a couple of cents' worth ...

I don't think the syntax was modified for the benefit of those who
live in NYC because the publishers expect more people outside the Big
Apple to buy and read the book than they do ones in the city.

In this case, what a New Yorker would say is not relevant to the
choice of words for a wider audience.

KMR