I have a Series 2 single tuner TiVo.  As Jim Ellwanger already said,
that is an important distinction because only the single tuner Series
2 boxes have an RF input; that is critical because the TiVo depends on
getting the output of a digital broadcast converter via RF channels 3
or 4 to function.

The good news is that all of the converters on the list at the TiVo
website (which Jim also provided) are controllable by a Series 2 TiVo
via the IR blaster.

And if you decide to get a digital cable box or a DirecTV/Dish
satellite receiver later, the TiVo will integrate the two sources into
a single program guide for viewing and recording (the cable or
satellite box goes in via the audio/video inputs on the TiVo).  I have
DirecTV with a Insignia (Best Buy) digital converter on mine, because
DirecTV does not carry the digital subchannels I watch (Antenna TV,
MeTV, and this!) and it all works flawlessly.