And I get this, too: I worked for about six years in the ad business until
earlier this year, and there are certain moments in Mad Men that hit spots that
I didn't appreciate being hit.

If you're giving the show a chance, I'd strongly suggest starting at season
four, work your way to the present, then go back to seasons two and three. Skip
season one: with the exception of "The Luminous Fish Effect" which fleshes out
the depth of Sheldon, there's not much to see.