The fast money round--or "Match-Ups!"--was created in the 1990 ABC version
as a way of playing a full game in one show and not having to play three
rounds and edit down the writing or play two rounds and risk having lots of
time to kill at the end (the problem that "Match Game PM" had which was
remedied by going to three rounds, but editing the writing and wisecracking
during the writing).  It was played twice in each show after each regular
round with the same rules as in the new Canadian version.  ABC didn't want
"straddling" (having a game carry over to the next day) and Canadian cable
doesn't either, because they'll run the damn things out of order eventually.

Mark Jeffries
Saints Spotlight Editor
spotligh...@gmail.com