This NYT blog post suggests the dispute was legit.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/07/things-get-kind-of-crazy-among-colbert-daft-punk-and-mtv

________________________________
 From: PGage <pga...@gmail.com>
To: tvornottv@googlegroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:28 PM
Subject: Re: [TV orNotTV] The Story Of MTV And Stephen Colbert

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 10:10 AM, David Bruggeman <bru...@yahoo.com> wrote:

The show started promoting Colbchella '013 on the air last week, so I think it
reasonable that there's been some work on at least some part of last night's
performance well in advance.  Heck, last year Colbert did Colbchella '012 from
the Intrepid, which involved melding in-studio and onboard footage.

Right - I think the question here though is, was the advance work in support of
Daft Punk (I think it was, once I figured out that DP was real), or, as Jon
suspects, were they always planning on having someone different on in the end?