The short version: Daft Punk was known for their house and electronica
music (I have a couple of their CD and they make regular appearances on my
playlists). They wrote and recorded the score for the Tron remake in 2010.
For "Random Access Memory", they decided to make a shift and pull off a
pretty impressive marketing campaign for "Get Lucky", which is how they
became one of those "eight-year overnight successes".

As for the significance of the helmets: they're real people in there, and
what they do (especially with live shows) is not something you could just
have someone else play the role (think Barney Gumbel as Krusty The Clown).
There's another electronic music performer called deadmau5 (pronounced
"dead mouse") who regularly DJs in an oversized head, and it'd be pretty
damned obvious if it wasn't him.