(I'm going to get slightly spoilery later in this post, FYI)

Other than Doug, I have yet to find a single non-critic who has anything
positive to say about it.

Going back to our previous thread about the episode where everyone suddenly
realized that there was a possibility the mother was dead, someone
mentioned that they would be surprised that no one at CBS wouldn't have
stepped in and said, "Um, have you really thought how the fans are going to
take this?" And when everything blew up, I have to imagine that Thomas &
Bays (and everyone else involved) who knew exactly how this was going to go
down suddenly realized the ship was pointing directly at the iceberg and it
was too late to do anything about it, nor could they say "Of course we're
not going to kill the mother!"

I find it interesting that no one from the show is standing up at this
point and defending it (unlike Robert and Michelle King on The Good Wife,
who stepped up to the plate right away after killing off Josh Charles'
character to fans uproar). I'm especially looking at Neil Patrick Harris,
who was one of the staunchest defenders of the finale prior to it, bragging
about how the fans were going to really like it. Um, Neil? Yeah...no.

Having finally read a full recap (my comment from last night came from a
bulleted list on events on EW.com), I'm even more baffled. I am not the
HIMYM fan in my house (that would be my wife, who was still hot when I came
home two hours after the episode), but I can tell you the moment when I
would've lost it: when they presented the idea that after Barney and Robin
divorce, the other three characters would bond around *Barney*, the one
each has found to be grotesque at various points through the series.
Seriously: Robin's the one who's going to be isolated by the group instead
of rallied around? And after the Lily/Robin discussion, I'm pretty sure I'd
have either turned the TV off or paused the DVR so I could go buy a gun to
shoot it.

One last thought: if there was ever an episode that proved the benefit of
filming in front of a studio audience, this was it. What popped into my
mind this morning was an old episode of Friends, "The One Where Everybody
Finds Out" (where Phoebe finds out about Monica and Chandler, leading to a
magnificent farce where Phoebe and Chandler try to seduce each other
knowing the other person knows what's going on). The B plot on that was
Ugly Naked Guy subletting his apartment, and Ross trying to get it. There's
a scene where Joey, staring out the window, says "Hey, hey, check it out,
check it out: Ugly Naked Guy's got a naked friend!" To which the audience
lets out a loud scream of laughter as the four others head for the window.
Marta Kaufmann, on the commentary track, said that was not supposed to be
the laugh line: the laugh line was supposed to be when the five of them
realise it's Ross over there (Rachel says "Oh my God, that's our friend!
It's Naked Ross!"). But the audience put the pieces together far faster
than the writers thought, and in that case it turned out magnificently. I
wonder if Thomas & Bays would've realized that had the audience reacted to
that final scene from that previous episode and at least given pause to
their plan.