 From: PGage <pga...@gmail.com>

Subject: Re: [TV orNotTV] More NFL BS: "New" Policy on Domestic Violence
Changes Nothing

I have not had a chance to read in depth the reactions to the release of the
elevator video of Ray Rice punching his girlfriend, but what I have read has
left me confused. What about that video is being cited as new evidence that
justifies the NFL and the Ravens so profoundly changing their initial
judgements? We knew he had punched her in the elevator, we knew that she was
unconscious when the doors open, and that he callously dragged her half way out
of the elevator. We knew they were the only two people in the elevator. It has
always been certain that he punched her in the face/head and that this led to
her losing consciousness. We knew it was vicious and ugly and unjustifiable, no
matter how much Roger Godell and Stephen A Smith alluded to hypothetical
provocations by the girlfriend. This is what the somewhat antiseptic term
"domestic violence" means - a man who is almost always bigger and stronger
viciously and violently hitting, punching, kicking a
 woman.

Of course Rice should have been more seriously punished in the first place
(despite the reports, this is no more a real life time ban than the NFL's "new
and improved guidelines" call for; if Rice is so inclined, and maintains a
clean legal record, he will be able to apply for reinstatement in 2 or 3
years), but nothing that happened this morning changed anything.

Deadspin notes the double talk we have been getting about this from jump
street. The NFL spin at first was that if only the public had seen the elevator
video, we would understand why they gave Rice such a lenient penalty - implying
strongly that the girlfriend had started it and Rice was only defending
himself. Now the NFL claims it never saw that video, and now that they have
they are shocked, shocked to see that Ray Rice punched his girlfriend into
 unconsciousness. Bull Shit.
http://deadspin.com/someone-is-lying-about-whether-the-nfl-saw-the-ray-rice-1631901404