On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 12:24 PM, Bob Jersey <bob.in.jer...@juno.com> wrote:

> Joe Hass, in part, on the Adam Schefter gripes monitored on Deadspin:
>>
>> Here, fundamentally, is what makes this video so significant. Immediately
>> after the initial suspension was handed down, the implication came from the
>> league (though water carriers like Schefter and Peter King, who effectively
>> admitted to a journalistic felony in his piece yesterday) that there was
>> some sort of mitigating circumstance that the public didn't know, and the
>> head tilting was that mitigating circumstance happened in the elevator, in
>> video that was not public. It clearly didn't work, but that was how it went
>> down. Now we see the elevator tape, and there is no mitigating
>> circumstance: Palmer, at worst, spits on him, and his response was to cold
>> cock her. The NFL proceed to make that "it's the poh-lease's fault"
>> statement, which again holds no water.
>>

> Deadspin
> <http://deadspin.com/new-jersey-state-police-say-nfl-statement-is-inaccurate-1632438139>
> (link): The NJ state police are pieved that the League, at least on the
> public level, confused them with the local Atlantic City cops. Another
> obvious question arises: did the league investigators have any clues as to
> which department to approach?

Well, I think it is clear the NFL claims that "we asked the police and they
didn't give the video to us" is a small fig leaf constructed of bull shit,
so I don't think anyone there ever really got to the point of really
thinking about the different jurisdictions involved. Ray Rice's lawyer has
stated that he had a copy of the video, and would have provided it to the
NFL if they had ever asked.

To add to the question of whether it is ethical to keep watching NFL games
on TV, secular prophet Keith Olbermann made a convincing case against last
night. I link to Deadspin's page that has the youtube video, because they
also provide a verbatim transcript (
http://deadspin.com/keith-olbermann-on-roger-goodell-an-enabler-of-men-wh-1632150757).
Here is a relevant snippet:

"Mr. Goodell's ineptitude has not merely rendered this football season
meaningless and irrelevant by contrast, it has not only reduced supporting
or watching football to a distasteful, even a disrespectful act, but most
importantly it has comforted the violent and afflicted the victim. (SNIP)

And lastly, I accuse us, all of us, executives, players, fans, reporters,
of failing to draw a line in the sand when one was needed most. Any games
played by Baltimore without its executives and the Commissioner having been
dismissed, and without Ray Rice Being permanently banned by the National
football League, must be fully boycotted by all of us. If not, we become
accessories After the fact."