NPR had an interesting story on Morning Edition this morning regarding the
impact of Trump's Billions on the campaign.

http://www.npr.org/2015/07/31/427857932/are-donald-trumps-pockets-deep-enough-to-fund-his-campaign?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150731

First, there continues to be disagreement over how many billions Trump has
(Trump has claimed that he has $8B or $9B or most recently, $10B, Forbes
estimates $4B, Bloomberg $2.9B). One of my theories has been that one
reason Trump is in the race is to create an enhanced perception of his net
wealth. Also, the Trump campaign has billed various Trump enterprises for
more than half a million dollars in services over the last three month; in
itself this is not a game changing amount (though every dollar helps) but
it does not include an estimate of the value in advertising and marketing
to having the Trump name on television so much, along with the logos for
the hotels and stuff.

ME also points out that Romney and Obama each spent a total of $1.2B on
their campaigns in 2012. Trump has enough wealth to cover that from his
pocket (though how much of that is really liquid?), but they point out that
"Historically, self-financed candidates have usually been successful
businessmen, who often end up handling a long, drawn-out campaign like an
investment gone bad: They pull the plug." Unless even a protracted and
unlikely campaign is generating a lot more business benefits than I can
imagine, it seems that even Trump would not just pour mountains of his own
cash into the enterprise.

But the main point of the piece is the equalizing role of the SuperPacs.
The other GOP candidates may not have the personal wealth Trump does, but
many have friends who are his equal or more, and the SCTOUS decision they
purchased some years ago allows them to give as much as they want to the
SuperPacs. This is not quite as valuable as Trump's own money (he can give
as much as he wants to himself, and he gets a discount rate for TV ad time,
while SuperPacs pay the full rate), it does mean that there are effective a
lot of really rich guys running for president, and Trump is probably not
the richest.