On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 8:32 PM, Joe Hass <hassgoc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for doing this. I've always found sports graphic packages
> intriguing, especially as the technology has improved. A couple thoughts:
>
> * Words cannot express how much my minimalist heart loves the simple use
> of the team abbreviations without the logos. That drives me up a fricking
> wall.
> * I'm guessing the lack of the big "TOUCHDOWN" pop-up is from not having
> to think through the mind of watching a game with no sound. This is
> probably also why they don't have a time out display.
> * I can't say all with certainty, but I would find it shocking if a pro or
> major college venue didn't offer a number feed of the clock for
> broadcasters to use (which is usually amusing to watch when they're trying
> to adjust it). That said, there's always a fixed camera on both game and
> play clocks for the purpose of replay burn in (this is true in basketball
> and hockey coverage as well) that's grabbed when the widget is
> malfunctioning. In most places, it's bolted down well; given this was a
> one-off, they probably didn't do as thorough a job.
> * Given that's the CBS graphic package for the down and distance display,
> my guess is that's now how international NFL feeds package those cameras.
> * I'm on the fence as to how much information these widgets should
> display. As you might guess from the first bullet, I'm of the opinion the
> less the better unless it can be done well, so I like this (though I think
> you could've put the down and distance display down to the third line and
> bumped in the clock to make a rectangle.
>
> One of the fun parts of the Fox generator problems from Tuesday was to see
> what the graphic package was on the international feed: MLBN with the MLB
> logo where the MLBN logo usually is.

* They style and font the BBC has used is very much in keeping with its
graphics packages for just about every sport it covers. It's a house style.
Actually the inclusion of an NFL logo is quite unusual. But yes, minimalist
tends to be the way. It was only in the fairly recent past that the BBC's
Match of the Day highlights programme actually included a permanent score
box. It was assumed that the viewer could probably keep up with the score!
Sky really changed everything, and they took their lead heavily from ESPN.
So now everyone has pop up boxes showing % possession, shots on target and
so on. But they only appear occassionally.

* Rugby would be the closes comparison, and there's not big "Try" logo that
comes up either. I think broadcasters think that even if you're watching in
a bar, you kind of know that a try has been scored. Sky does, I think, run
a quick "Goal" graphic however.

* I kind of wonder if the BBC cobbled together something themselves. I
believe the way that sports graphics are now produced for big events is
that the raw data is centrally produced, and then a host-broadcaster
version output. However a broadcaster can then choose to take the data
feed, and add a sort of house-CSS styling to that data. But it's possible
that not everything is being output that way. The clock is odd though.
While in football (soccer) the only official clock is on the referee's
wrist - stadium and TV clocks not being official - with rugby there is a
single clock and that's happily shared to broadcasters.

Actually, I've just reviewed BBC footage from the first game this year, and
they used the full CBS graphics package for that game. So what I think
might be the issue is sponsorship. It's possible that they didn't want to
have "Visa/DraftKings/Whatever Halftime-Show" graphics on screen or
similar. The BBC produced their own coverage, with Sky doing the same. The
NFL supplies loads of guests. More to the point, the BBC is not allowed to
take commercials, and while you do see sports' own sponsorship logos (e.g.
Omega timing for Athletics), there are strict limits on what's allowed. I
wonder if that was the issue.

* I'm not sure whether the NFL supplies an International Feed as such for
anything but the Superbowl. And for the last few years, sponsorship issues
notwithstanding, UK broadcasters have taken the full US network feeds - I
think on the basis that the International Feed talks down to the viewers a
bit, and UK viewers are up to speed with the game enough not to need that.

BT Sport is definitely using the MLB international feed however!

Adam